Oral Motor Lip Exercises with the Y Tips
Posted by Debbie Lowsky, MS, CCC-SLP on 28th Dec 2021
Y Tips are a great addition to any oral motor tool bag! These tip attachments for the Z-Vibe are most often used for working on jaw grading and stability exercises. But the unique Y shape makes them great for lip closure exercises as well.
What is lip closure? Just like its namesake, lip closure is the ability to close one's lips to create a seal around a spoon, around a straw, around food, to produce /p/b/m/ sounds, etc. Below are a few fun oral motor exercises for working on lip closure with the Y Tips.
- Gently press the center of the Y on the lips and hold for 3-5 seconds to provide sensory input to the full surface of the upper lip and help "wake up" the lips.
- Repeat on the lower lip.
This exercise works best with the magenta Y tip.
- Place the center of the Y just above the upper lip. Gently stretch the upper lip downwards until it makes contact with the lower lip.
- Place the center of the Y just below the lower lip. Gently stretch the lower lip upwards until it makes contact with the upper lip.
This exercise works best with the thinnest blocks (#1, #2, or #3).
- Place the tip of the block in between the individual’s lips, just inside the lips. Instruct the individual to squeeze their lips on the tip for 5-10 seconds.
- Move the tip towards the corner of the lips in small increments. Have the individual squeeze their lips around the tip at each interval for 5-10 seconds.
- Start with #3 and work your way towards using the #2 and #1 blocks for increasing difficulty.
I hope you find these activities helpful! The Y Tips are available individually or as a combo set here, or you can also build a custom Z-Vibe Kit with them here.
Debbie Lowsky, MS, CCC-SLP